Friday, July 4, 2008

Google Docs and Google Book Search

Google Docs
I guess that internally we don't need this tool so much as we all have access to the S drive docs and can share, edit and track changes that way. The revisions function on Google is really good though as you can instantly see who edited the doc and when. I imported an orientation slideshow and played around with it and although it went slowly at first and the functions will take a bit of getting used to, I thought it worked well. I haven't tried loading the file back into the S drive so I'm not sure how that works.
For anyone who wanted to work on a document off-campus it could very useful. And it is a free service - well, apart from your internet access costs.
Google Book Search
I LOVE THIS! don't know why I've never used it before. A great alternative to Bookfind or Amazon when looking for hard to find materials and it links straight through to Libraries Australia or WorldCat when you click on the "Find this book in a library" link.

No comments: